Pageviews past week

Monday, January 27, 2014

Another downer as the Dow fell 41 points on heavy volume.  The advance/declines were about 3 to 1 negative.  We had a rally during the session but fell back hard in the last hour.  Hopefully that won't be the only bounce that we see this week.  I do think that we should see some upside on Wednesday and Thursday according to my work but you never know.  The market goes where it wants to.  The summation index is heading lower.  I will be purchasing some February OEX puts this week if we get some upside.  GE was up 1/8 and the volume was heavy.  GE led the way down so todays action looks good for some type of rally for the stock indices during the week.  GE is now oversold on a short term basis and due for some positive action.  I would not be looking to buy any calls here though on GE.  Gold was off a few bucks on the futures but fell around $10 in the aftermarket.  The US dollar was little changed on the day once again.  The XAU fell 3 1/8.  ABX was lower by 1/2, while GG and NEM dropped around 3/4.  Volume was light.  I'm still a believer in the February gold share calls.  I will most likely wait for the Fed announcement on Wednesday before attempting to purchase them.  But who knows?  If we see another drop tomorrow like what we saw today I may just go ahead and get them.  I'm looking at the GG February calls.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  Volatility has really picked up here and that is something to contend with.  However I am sticking with the plan of purchasing index puts on a bounce higher this week.  The Fed announcement on Wednesday should be another catalyst one way or the other.  There is a decent amount of economic data out this week as well.  I'd like to at least see higher stock prices tomorrow.  May not happen.  Gold was lower today but the recent up trend line remains intact.  We'll see if any buying comes in tomorrow for gold.  Still plenty of time in the February option cycle.  To me it seems as though there will be money to be made near term if you're nimble enough.  Hopefully I'm up for the challenge.  We'll keep an eye on the foreign stock markets overnight and go from there.

No comments: