Pageviews past week

Monday, October 03, 2011

Starting October where we left off in September as the Dow lost 258 points on good volume. The advance/declines were almost 10 to 1 negative. Index puts are the place to be and I don't own any. The premiums are still very high on the options. We've broken the consolidation in the S&P 500 to the downside. Now it is simply a question of how low we go. We haven't even gotten to Fridays employment number yet. So we'll see what happens. I have a couple of ideas longer term involving GE and the gold shares. I suppose I'll be looking for entry points. GE helped lead the way down today, off 1/2 and closing on its low for the day. Volume was good. I still want to get some January calls here. Gold had a good day with the futures up $35. The US dollar was higher as well in the flight to safety. The XAU fell 2 points though. ABX dropped 3/8, GG was flat and NEM gained 1/3. Volume was light here. I'd like to get some gold share calls eventually. I'm looking to go out to November. Plenty of time there. The Gold/XAU ratio is off the charts to the buy side but that indicator hasn't been working lately. Mentally I'm doing OK. Trying not to get caught up in not owning any OEX puts as we fall here. Perhaps there will be a short covering rally this week before the employment report. Wishful thinking there. I have a couple of ideas with the longer term GE call options for January and the gold share calls for November. The summation index has turned down again but it's been in a range lately with no extended moves. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments: