Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The rally continued today as the Dow gained 102 points on average volume. The advance/declines were about 4 to 1 positive. We did however cut the days gain in half by the close. We could be in for a pause here but the trend remains up. Summation index moving higher. We reached 1220 on the S&P 500 and backed off. 1220 is the final area of resistance in the congestion zone that has been in place since August. I almost placed an overnight order for some OEX puts. The McClellan oscillator gave a signal for a significant move but I held off. The previous loss may have saved me there. There's also a tendency sometimes to try and get back what you've just lost. Luckily I recognized this and did not place the trade. It doesn't make up for this weeks OEX trade loss though. GE was up 1/4 on average volume. I took off the open order for the January calls here. I'll keep an eye on things but this trade may have been missed. Gold was up $20 on the futures today as the dollar got whacked again. The XAU was up 1 3/4. ABX and GG both gained 1/3, while NEM fell 1/3. Volume continues light here. I also took off the open order for the ABX November calls as well. I still may try and do something before the earnings report at the end of the month but we are now more overbought than oversold here. I'd prefer to see the gold shares build more of a base here but that may not occur. Mentally I'm feeling OK. Even if the stock indices pull back in the near term, the trend has changed to the upside. We are short term overbought now. I'll be looking for some calls on weakness. I won't be in a hurry to do anything after this weeks losing trade. 7 days to go on the October option cycle and I have not had success with short term trades. I will try and be patient. Retail sales on Friday is about the only economic indicator coming up for the remainder of the week besides jobless claims tomorrow. We'll see if the rally can continue.

No comments: