Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An interesting day as we opened very negative, down over 250 points and made it almost all the way back. The Dow lost 22 points on heavy volume. Advance/declines were negative. I tried to buy the GE calls but my order wasn't filled. It came within a penny of getting filled but it didn't happen. I'm leaving the order open as I expect some weakness on Thursday. This is probably the start of a short term bounce and I'm not happy missing it but what can you do? Still oversold but when you have action like today, you expect some upside near term. If for some reason we start to drop again here then the market is really in trouble. Gold was up $4 and the XAU rose 5 points. I also was looking at the ABX calls but they never showed any weakness and I did not place an order. We actually could be starting another up leg here for the gold shares. The relative strength is very strong once again. One day we are weak on strong metal prices and the next day we are up on the gold shares without the metal participation. So it's a confusing scenario as well. ABX and NEM up 1 1/4, while GG gained 1 1/2. Volume was heavy. The Gold/XAU ratio signal was valid and it is still in place. I may try the ABX June calls, we'll see. If we get a reflex rally it could damper the flight to safety play though. So there are a lot of crosscurrents in all the markets at the moment. Mentally I'm a bit tired, did not sleep long enough. So I would expect some strong follow through to the upside tomorrow in the stock market. If we don't see that, then I would be concerned. Gold itself could go either way I think but it's all just a guess. The short term should remain volatile.

No comments: