Pageviews past week

Friday, May 21, 2010

Started to bounce today as the Dow gained 125 points on expiration Friday. Volume was very heavy again and the advance/declines were about 3 to 1 positive. Deeply oversold and the expectation is for some relief and we got that started today. How far we go higher and the strength of of the move is the question. I'd expect more upside on Monday. GE opened with a gap down and was much lower at the open. However my call ticket wasn't filled. GE came all the way back to finish up a dime but the options barely moved. I canceled the open order and will re-evaluate this idea over the weekend. Gold was off $12 on the futures. The XAU was up 1 1/4 in sympathy with the overall market. ABX and GG were flat after being down early. NEM gained 1/3. Volume was average. The dollar finished off a touch. Gold and the gold shares are short term oversold here but technical damage has been done to the recent up trend. I'll probably stay away from trading the gold shares here for a while but you never know. Mentally I'm doing OK. An interesting week just concluded but it wasn't profitable for me. I should have recognized the situation a lot better. So it goes. I expect that we'll mover higher here and at the least stabilize things for a while. But I don't see any great rally like we just witnessed from the March 2009 lows. I expect lower prices down the road which will set up a buying opportunity in the autumn. That's my guess at the moment. So I'll be checking the charts over the weekend and see if there is a trade for the June option cycle. Perhaps GE, we'll have to wait and see. When we dropped early today and the GE call order wasn't filled it sometimes tells you something about what is going on. GE may not have enough price movement to be a viable option trade. Things to ponder. For now it's Friday afternoon and the weekend is here.

No comments: