Pageviews past week

Monday, July 21, 2014

A weak start to the week as the Dow fell 48 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were negative.  The summation index continues lower.  Plenty of earnings on tap as we get that season going in full swing.  The technicals here are mixed for the major averages.  I guess at this point you could make a case for either direction.  However, as long as the summation index is heading down, I would not be all that bullish.  GE was off 1/2 today and the volume was heavy.  This is another reason not to fall in love with stocks at this juncture.  GE is often the bellwether for the overall market.  Gold was up $4 on the futures as the US dollar was flat.  The XAU was flat as well but did come off of its lows.  ABX, GG and NEM all had slight fractional losses on very light volume.  Mixed technicals here as well.  I'm still considering the October gold share calls.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  Once again the summation index has headed lower and stocks have just moved sideways.  It could set things up for higher prices but I don't think it would be a huge move forward.  I was looking at the August OEX puts as a possible next trade.  But I will need to see overbought technical conditions first.  Volatility has picked up lately but the summer doldrums can return at any time.  Patience is sometimes required in the game and that is what I think is needed right now for the gold shares.  Plenty of time before October and that is the month that I've chosen for the calls here.  Earnings due in less than 2 weeks.  Unless something drastically changes here, I will probably wait on purchasing the options.  We'll see what happens overnight and go from there.

No comments: