Pageviews past week

Monday, September 17, 2007

The Dow lost 39 points today on average volume. Advance/declines were 2 to 1 negative. It was down from the start so there wasn't an opportune time to buy OEX puts. Fed tomorrow with producer prices. CPI on Wednesday. I don't think there will be any inflation in the upcoming numbers. If we do get a rally the next couple of days, I'll be trying the puts for the end of the week. But it's all just conjecture at this point. I do expect weakness in a big way at some point this week. There is a lot of premium in the OEX options for some reason. The ideal scenario is up tomorrow, follow through on the CPI Wednesday morning and then get short. Probably won't happen. Gold tacked on another 6 bucks today and is over $720. The XAU was off a third. We have stalled here and I don't know if we are consolidating before moving higher and even more overbought or have built a top and will roll over. The volume continues to be heavy. I was thinking about getting some puts here but now I am not quite so sure. I think that when the Fed eases tomorrow everyone thinks the dollar will tank. But that could very well already be in the market. It will be interesting for sure. GE lost a little ground and the volume was extremely light. It is a waiting game until tomorrow I suppose. I don't know, things really look like they could go either way here. The weak sell signal could have been worked off today. So it's a guessing game and no way should money be put at risk unless something definitive shows up. Once the Fed is out of the way it might get clearer. Or not. Mentally I feel OK. I will say that I've been indecisive here for a while but that is the nature of things sometimes. Having missed the move in gold and no clear signal with the OEX, the sidelines has been the place to be. Perhaps a trade will present itself in the next 4 days or perhaps not. I'm leaning to the short side if we get a pop tomorrow.

No comments: