Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Dow gained 58 points on light volume. Advance/declines were positive. The market was in a holding pattern today, waiting for the employment data. As much as I would like to have a trade on here, there is no clear signal. So I'll have to wait. The story today was gold, which rallied over $13 to cross $700 again. The XAU was up 8 points. The volume was heavy so I have to believe that it is for real. ABX was up 2 3/4 and NEM was up 1 3/4, both on very heavy volume. I put in an order for some NEM calls, in case we get a pullback. It looks like this time could finally be a valid breakout of the weekly down trend line in NEM. If so there will be plenty more room to the upside. Perhaps gold is foretelling a weak jobs number tomorrow. The dollar was weak today and that helped gold. GE gained 60 cents on good volume. It is overbought here but could stay that way. I don't have any trades in mind there unless we get a pullback. GE isn't something that I will chase. Mentally I'm feeling OK. Sometimes it is hard to be patient but not this time for me. I really get the feeling that the decline has seen it's low. We have never really retested it. That could all change tomorrow so we'll see. I did want to get short before the employment report but that has changed. My next guess will be before the Fed meeting unless a decent signal appears. With the summation index still pointing up, it will be hard to be bearish really. But anything can and does happen...

No comments: