Pageviews past week

Friday, January 05, 2024

It was an up and down type of session as the market tried to figure out how to digest todays jobs report. The Dow managed to finish with a gain of 25 points on light volume. The advance/declines were positive. The summation index is trending lower but in what I believe will be a sideways channel. The employment report was hotter than expected and the market rallied after the open. Then came a sell off followed by another rally attempt and another sell off. The Dow limped home to the upside to finish the day. The S&P 500 managed a slight gain as did the NASDAQ. Some of the short term indicators for the S&P are oversold, others not so much. We are getting a buy signal from one of our indicators on the S&P. I looked to buy weakness today but we didn't see too much. I did however purchase some SPY January calls when the market turned lower in the afternoon. They are showing a slight profit. Management of the trade is something that I'll keep in mind going forward. I'll be looking to take profits earlier this year. Gold bounced around and finished relatively flat on the day. Same for the US dollar. Interest rates had a slight rise. The XAU had a slight fractional loss, while GDX was unchanged. Volume was about average. GDX continues to hold on the support at the up trend line coming in at 29.5. The short term indicators here have the same look as the S&P. Some are oversold, others are mid-range. I do still like the GDX calls at some point but one trade at a time seems to be a reasonable strategy. I'll consider what to do over the weekend. Mentally I'm feeling a bit tired. The VIX was lower today and the 50 day moving average proved to be resistance. The indicators here are rolling over and if that continues it would be a positive for stocks. We'll see. I'm in the first trade of the new year. From what we look at the market should move up from here, we just don't know how fast and how much. However signals don't always work and markets go where they want. We'll go over all the charts this weekend as usual. I am confident that this trade will work out to the plus side if I can keep my wits about me. Never easy in this game. Europe was slightly lower and Asia mixed to close the week. It's Friday afternoon and time for a break.

No comments: