Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 08, 2015

The snap back rally could be more than that as the Dow soared 323 points on heavy volume.  The advance/declines were 3 to 1 positive again.  This should turn the summation index back to the upside.  No need for the market to wait for tomorrows employment report.  The volatility here is tremendous, with 100 point plus moves becoming the norm.  Perhaps my scenario of a strong start to the new year will pan out.  But as usual the market will go where it wants.  However if we continue like this, new all time highs cannot be far away.  My OEX January calls have a bid on them again.  I guess I'll just hold on at this point and see what happens.  GE finally participated somewhat with a gain of 1/4.  Volume was good but I would have liked to see GE move in sync with the overall market.  It is a laggard here.  My GE March calls are back where I purchased them.  Gold fell a couple bucks as the US dollar continues to grind higher.  The XAU was off 1 1/4, while GDX lost 1/3.  Volume was light though.  USO was up 1/8 or so.  My USO February calls are still losers.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  This is one of the craziest starts to the new year that I can remember.  First the world was coming to an end and now we've risen over 500 points in two days.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring?  We'll get the employment numbers and that will be the excuse to move things one way or the other.  Technically we're moving off of a short and medium term oversold condition.  How long it lasts is another story.  If we see all time new highs in short order, that would be a big positive in my mind.  So we'll see.  The USO trade looks like a loser but now there is a chance that the OEX January call trade won't be a total loss.  Earnings for GE next Friday will probably determine the outcome of that trade.  I can't say I have any idea what will happen tomorrow.  But if we finish the week on a positive note, that will bode well for things going forward.  After the very weak start to the week, a comeback would be very bullish.  We'll see how the foreign markets react overnight and keep an eye out for the jobs numbers tomorrow.

No comments: