Pageviews past week

Friday, August 12, 2011

The Dow closed the week with a gain of 125 points on good volume. The advance/declines were about 2 to 1 positive. We were up for most of the day but after such huge point swings this week it seemed like a drift. The overall market was weaker than the Dow. The McClellan oscillator is making its way back to positive territory in a hurry. The summation index is trying to turn around here. The weekly S&P 500 candlestick chart looks like it may have put in a bullish hammer. It managed to close the week above the 2oo week moving average. However the jury is still out on what happens from here. I will have to check things out over the weekend and go from there. GE gained almost 1/4 on good volume. I'm going to let some kind of bottom form for GE and then I will purchase some January calls. That is the game plan for GE right now. Could change as we go forward. Gold fell again today, down 9 bucks on the futures. The XAU fell a couple of points. ABX lost 1/3, GG and NEM fell 7/8. Volume was lighter than lately. My ABX calls are still in the black but have lost some of the profit. 5 weeks to go but the weekly GLD candlestick chart looks like a blow off top. Again, I will have to check things out over the weekend and decide what to do next week. Mentally I'm feeling OK, slept well. It was quite a week and I really do not expect that type of volatility to continue. But who knows? I think at the least we will retest the lows of this week sometime in the next few weeks. But I'm often wrong. I don't think the long term problems in Europe and the US will all of a sudden be solved. But the focus of the markets could move on to something else. Another thing to consider is the presidential cycle and that implies much higher stock levels by the end of the year. So there is plenty to consider going forward. I will check the charts and the numbers over the weekend and go from there. Sometimes the hardest thing to do with a winning trade is to stick with it and not take the quick profit. That is what I'm facing with the ABX trade. I don't want it turning into a loser though either. Time will tell. For now it's Friday afternoon in August and time for a rest.

No comments: