Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Dow gained 50 points today on average volume. Advance/declines were slightly negative. The overall market was weaker. We were lower but made somewhat of a comeback. Only 3 days left for this option cycle. Will I try the OEX puts? Only if we get a bounce that cheapens the puts. But it's risky. I still might do it though. Gold gained $10 today as the dollar was weaker. The XAU gained almost 5 points. The HUI has broken out above 340. ABX, GG and NEM were all higher by more than 1 1/2. The volume was average but the gold shares outperformed. Obviously I should have held the GG calls a bit longer. I would have tried the gold shares if we got some weakness in them early today but it didn't happen. So on it goes. Mentally I'm feeling OK. So where do we go from here? I think that we will be heading lower for the June option cycle. We've had a nice run but we are starting to see signs technically that we're running out of steam. The NASDAQ is not leading us higher anymore and has stalled at its 200 day moving average. If it could somehow break through there on heavy volume, I would change my mind. I still like gold and the gold shares too, even if we have a drop in the overall market. If we get a pullback there, I'll be looking to get long. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: