Pageviews past week

Friday, December 07, 2018

Another downer on Wall Street as the Dow fell 558 points on heavy volume.  The advance/declines were 2 to 1 negative.  The summation index has turned lower.  The jobs report was a bit light.  After a brief rally the market nosedived, which negated whatever positive price action we saw with yesterdays comeback.  The RUT broke below its recent support and that is a harbinger of lower prices for the rest of the indices in my opinion.  There will be no miracle comeback for the bulls in the near future.  I dumped my SPY December calls for a 90 % loss.  They had a 50% gain on Monday.  But that is the nature of the game and goes along with what is my worst year of trading that I can remember.  Like I've said, I don't really know what's going on here but the market is never wrong.  There's still two weeks left in the December option cycle, so it's possible that I'll try another trade but I doubt it.  GE was off 1/3 and the volume remains heavy.  Gold was up on the futures and we've broken resistance at $1240.  The US dollar was lower.  The XAU added 1 1/2, while GDX gained 1/2 on heavier volume.  The gold shares are looking like the place to be but I think that it's too late for that trade.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  The S&P is back to its near term support on the daily chart.  The indicators are just about oversold.  The weekly chart looks terrible with a very large bearish engulfing pattern on the candlestick version.  Also on the daily chart the 50 day moving average just crossed over the 200 day moving average to the downside.  The technical picture for the S&P is negative.  The VIX is getting overbought but isn't completely there yet.  I really don't see any good news coming from anywhere to turn this thing around in the near term.  All the good news came out early in the past week.  I guess there isn't much more for me to do here except lick my wounds and move on.  Asia was mixed and Europe generally higher overnight.  It's Friday afternoon and time for a break.

No comments: