Pageviews past week

Thursday, December 06, 2018

Volatility rules.  We were off almost 800 points today but the Dow came back and finished with a loss of 79 points on extremely heavy volume.  The advance/declines were negative.  The summation index is heading sideways but trying to turn down.  New lows expanded to there biggest total recently.  The VIX spiked to almost 26 then backed off.  The market did hold where the double bottom lows were but it doesn't feel as though things will hold up here.  The NASDAQ did manage a gain which is quite something on a day like this.  I don't know the reason for all the selling but you cannot ignore the price action.  Something is going on.  My SPY December calls are still dead.  GE was actually up a few cents on heavy volume.  Perhaps GE is sold out here.  I mean what's left to go wrong with that stock?  Gold finished flat on the day and the US dollar was a bit lower.  The XAU and GDX had slight fractional gains on OK volume.  I canceled my open order for the GDX January calls.  If GDX gets to the bottom of the recent trading range, I might try this idea again.  But I decided that with all the recent craziness I'd simply step aside.  Mentally I'm a little side tracked, with outside the market everyday issues taking up some of my mental time.  Nothing serious like the hospital incident of a couple years ago.  We'll get the jobs report tomorrow and that should set the tone for the day.  Today price action did have the make up of a bottom.  But we won't know for sure until we see what happens from here.  If we rally tomorrow you could make a case for a short term bottom at least.  However if we drop back down and break the recent lows you can be sure that more trouble is on the way.  I think that it is safe to say that at the moment the market is out of control.  That is not a bullish scenario.  Still two weeks left in the December option cycle.  The trade I'm in already had one miracle comeback, could another be in store?  Highly unlikely but the market does go where it wants to.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow and take it from there.  Europe and Asia got clocked last night after Tuesdays US debacle.  We'll keep an eye on the overnight developments and close put the trading week tomorrow. 

No comments: