Pageviews past week

Friday, May 08, 2015

The employment report came out and the market responded with a huge gain of 267 points on average volume.  The advance/declines were 4 to 1 positive.  I'm not sure that this will turn the summation index around but it will be getting close.  Back to knocking on the door to new all time highs for some of the major stock indices.  There is nothing in the way preventing new all time highs.  You figured today would tell the story and it did.  I don't think the numbers really mattered as the market will use any excuse to do what it wants.  So we should be heading higher form here.  GE was up 1/3 on average volume.  I'd still like to get some calls here but we've already moved up in the past two days.  Gold was up $6 on the futures and the US dollar was a bit higher as well.  These two didn't move as much on the jobs numbers and to me that makes sense.  The employment report really wasn't drastic one way or the other.  The XAU was up 2/3 and GDX rose 1/8.  Volume was light.  Patience advised for purchasing options on the gold shares.  The interest remains missing.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  It looks like the oversold reading on the McClellan oscillator this past Wednesday marked the low for stocks at this time.  Expiration week is next week and the positive bias could come into play.  I'll be looking for SPY calls on weakness.  It we can get the summation index to turn positive, that would be the all clear sign.  I do believe that is where we are headed.  Perhaps June calls should be the next trade.  Also I may be getting a better read on what is going on in the markets now.  The employment report doesn't matter as much as the market reaction to it.  Once we get to new all time highs there is no overhead resistance as well.  I'll be looking for opportunities over the weekend.  Gold remains unloved and I'll be looking for trades elsewhere.  For now it's Friday afternoon and time for a rest.

No comments: