Pageviews past week

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Still moving higher as the Dow gained 40 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were positive.  The summation index is moving higher.  The Dow appears to be ready to join the other indices with new all time highs.  I'm still concerned about the small stock under performance here but you cannot argue with price.  I'd expect tomorrow to be a day of backing and filling before Fridays employment report.  But what do I know?  We broke out of the consolidation to the upside and unless there is a sharp turnaround, the trend is up.  GE was up over 1/8 but the volume was light.  Trying to break out of a wedge pattern to the upside but we'll need to see more volume to be convinced.  Gold found buyers today despite a higher US dollar.  The precious metal futures rose $10.  The XAU gained 2 points.  ABX and NEM jumped 3/4, while GG added 1/2.  Volume was good and all of these issues gapped higher.  It appears that the gold share call idea will work.  Unfortunately none of my orders were filled the past couple of days.  I'm still going to try the ABX May calls at some point but will have to wait for some pull back.  May not happen.  However the gold shares are doing better than gold and that is a positive.  So is todays volume, which tells me the bullish side is the one to be on going forward.  Mentally I'm feeling a bit tired.  A good week so far for the stock indexes.  I still think we are much closer to a top than to a bottom though.  I would not be in a hurry to chase this rally.  It is much healthier for the bulls when the small stocks lead and not lag.  Perhaps we can get to 1900 or so on the S&P 500 in the days to come.  But I do not envision a long extended rally.  I liked the bounce in the gold shares today as it had very good volume.  Volume means interest and there hasn't been much here lately.  Plus there wasn't any attention given to todays action in the media.  That's a plus.  Hopefully there will be some weakness in the next couple of days to try some calls.  If not, it will simply be another trade that was missed.  In retrospect, I should have adjusted my open order on the May ABX calls higher.  But we'll have to see what happens in the days to come.  We'll keep an eye on the foreign markets overnight to see if the rallies there continue as well.

No comments: