Pageviews past week

Friday, July 13, 2012

We finally got the rally I was expecting as the Dow gained 203 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were 5 to 1 positive.  We never got any weakness early as it was off to the races from the start.  I didn't get any OEX calls and that is another missed opportunity.  I expected some up side like this over 2 to 3 sessions, not all in one day.  The excuse is that the bank earnings were better than expected.  Didn't matter.  The stock indexes were overdue for some technical upside.  We'll probably continue higher for the short term.  GE was up 1/3 and the volume was light.  We're bouncing off of the 50 day moving average here.  Earnings in a week.  The July 20 calls here perhaps?  Probably not.  Gold rallied on a weaker US dollar as the precious metal futures rose $26.  The XAU did not follow as it only gained 2 1/3.  The under performance of the gold shares here is glaring and does not bode well for future upside.  ABX up 1/4, GG gained 7/8 and NEM added 3/4.  Volume was light.  My ABX calls are losers and ABX is under performing here as well.  The earnings are out in a week and a half so I suppose I will wait for that event.  Mentally I'm feeling discouraged of course for being stuck in a losing trade while winning ideas go by the wayside.  It's part of the game.  As always the mental capital wasted in losing efforts is the most important component.  My trading this year has not been good.  It has been exceptionally poor.  I'll need to rectify this going forward.  The stock indices have room to the upside here.  Expiration week should help move things forward along with the oversold condition technically.  The easy profits have been made though in my opinion.  Gold continues to move in a sideways channel with the gold shares simply continuing lower.  There is nothing on the horizon to change this pattern.  I will be looking out to the October ABX calls on more downside.  I'll check the charts over the weekend and go from there.  For now it's Friday afternoon and time for a break. 

No comments: