Pageviews past week

Monday, June 25, 2012

We started off the last week of June with a triple digit loss as the Dow fell 138 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were 3 to 1 negative.  I suppose I can't call it a summer rally anymore when we've lost roughly 350 points in the last 3 days.  I expected the stock indices to hold up here and clearly they haven't.  More rumblings out of Europe today as there is yet another important meeting at the end of this week.  Elections, meetings and summits occur yet nothing is really being done to help solve the problems over there.  That is the problem in itself.  Nothing short of default can fix things in the credit markets there really.  Perhaps the markets are finally figuring that out and factoring it in.  I don't know.  GE dropped about 1/3 on light volume.  I'm not considering the July calls here anymore.  I'm starting to get the feeling that the market is in trouble.  Gold was up $20 on the futures today as the US dollar showed strength as well.  The flight to safety trade came back on today.  The XAU was only up 1 1/4 though.  ABX up 1/3, GG gained a buck and NEM rose 7/8.  Volume was OK.  I looked at the gold share charts over the weekend and have determined that this will be my next trade.  I probably should have purchased something today.  I did place an open order for some August ABX calls and I am leaving it in overnight.  Mentally I'm doing OK.  As I have already mentioned more than once, we are at the mercy of the latest headline from wherever.  Be it from China, Europe or Washington.  For some reason this is the enviornment at the moment more so than usual.  Technically the stock indexes are mid-range the indicators and moving down.  The reported economic data is taking a back seat right now.  We've got the end of the month coming up.  The hoped for summer doldrums in the market are not happening once again.  I suppose I could always just wait things out on the sidelines.  However the technicals on the gold shares have moved back down to oversold on a short term basis..  The ongoing uncertainty should be a positive for gold.  I'm probably going to take another shot there.  We'll see what happens.

No comments: