Pageviews past week

Friday, March 09, 2012

The employment report came and went as the Dow gained just 14 points on light volume. We were up over 50 during the session. The advance/declines were 2 to 1 positive. The overall market was stronger than the Dow. The job numbers were in line and the S&P 500 rallied back up to the resistance at around 1375 before backing off. We'll probably get through that level sometime next week. The summation index may turn back up today. GE was flat on light volume. Nothing new to report here. The technicals are not overbought or oversold. Gold had an interesting day as it opened lower on the employment report but then closed higher for a one day reversal. This occurred despite a huge rally in the US dollar. The precious metal gained about $13 on the futures. The XAU lost a point though. ABX and GG fell about 1/4, while NEM was little changed. I dumped the ABX calls for yet another loss. In fact as soon as I sold them ABX rallied and I could have cut the loss in half. But who knew that at the time? This was another trade that never showed a profit and my 3rd loss in a row for attempting the ABX calls. The loss was 70%. Despite the Gold/XAU ratio buy signal, the gold shares aren't rallying. That signal is just growing stronger. I don't know what to make of it along with both gold and the US dollar moving higher together. I might have to try the gold share calls for April because the technicals remain oversold. Or I might just sit things out for a while. Mentally I'm feeling tired, did not sleep enough. The stock indices look like they want to go to new recovery highs. With the usual positive bias of option expiration week, they should make it. My confidence is shot once again with another losing trade. It's all about the mental capital. You can't possibly be successful when you're in a trading funk. I'll have to somehow snap out of it because the markets aren't going to wait for me to feel better. But maybe when the usual reliable signals don't work, it's time to take a step back. I'll have to ponder things over the weekend and go from there. You've got to also have the ability to shake off losses and losing streaks. They are inevitable when playing this game. It isn't easy. It's now Friday afternoon and definitely time for a break.

No comments: