Pageviews past week

Friday, December 09, 2011

A bounce back to the upside as the Dow gained 186 points on light volume. The advance/declines were 6 to 1 positive. Europe announced another rescue plan as that saga never seems to end. Could it all change by Monday? Who knows? We're still overbought on the technicals for the stock indices but when we're in rally mode that doesn't matter as much. I still think we are going to see higher prices next week. We've got the Fed next week along with plenty of economic data. GE was up 1/2 on average volume. Overbought here as well. The calls I own are still in the black. Plenty of time left on this trade. Gold was up a couple of bucks or so on the futures as the US dollar fell. The XAU rose 2 1/2. ABX was up 1/4, GG lost a touch and NEM gained 7/8. Volume here was light. I canceled the open order for the January ABX calls. I'll probably try again next week. We aren't oversold yet on the gold shares. The ideal scenario would be some weakness next week as gold itself moves down to its uptrend line at about $1680. Of course the ideal scenarios rarely pan out. Mentally I'm feeling OK. Another factor to consider with trading at this point is the upcoming holiday period. Things will probably slow down. That usually doesn't bode well for the options as time premium gets taken out. It's something to consider. Expiration week is next week. I still think I'll try the January gold share calls at some point before the end of the year. Unless gold for some reason just falls apart here. I don't expect that to happen but we are getting near the long term uptrend line and there doesn't seem to be the interest that there used to be. So we'll see. I'm looking for higher prices in the stock indices next week. I'll continue to hold the GE calls. I'll check the charts over the weekend and go from there. For now it's Friday afternoon in the winter and time for a break.

No comments: