Pageviews past week

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Positive headlines out of Europe led to a rally today as the Dow gained 335 points on light volume. The advance/declines were about 7 to 1 positive. It remains a headline driven market environment. We were short term oversold on the stock indices though. We'll have to see if there is any follow through tomorrow. It certainly isn't the quiet pre-holiday week that I expected. It's possible that the summation index will turn around with more positive activity this week and that would be bullish. Hasn't happened yet. GE was up 3/8 on light volume. We remain overbought here. That won't last forever. My GE calls are still in the black. Haven't yet reached the target that I have in mind and I would like to hold this trade into the new year. That is the current and ongoing game plan. Gold found some buyers today as the US dollar took a hit. Gold was up $20 on the futures. The XAU gained 6 1/3. ABX and NEM were up 1 1/2, while GG rose 1 1/8. Volume was light. We never fully reached the Gold/XAU ratio buy signal yesterday but it was close. We'll have to see were we go from here. The technicals are still oversold on the gold shares, even with todays action. I'm trying to hold off on buying some gold share calls here. We'll see. I would like to see some sideways consolidation after the recent downdraft in gold before trying the calls here again. Mentally I'm feeling OK. So we had a nice up move in the stock indices today and that at least fits in with my higher not lower stock price theory going forward. It could all change tomorrow though in this type of atmosphere. I'd like to see some follow through. I don't foresee any more trades for this year since there is nothing pressing on the radar screen at the moment. I'll try and remain patient here and not do anything stupid. Doesn't always work out that way.

No comments: