Pageviews past week

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Dow tacked on another 45 points on average volume. Advance/declines were slightly positive. We got some follow through and that was to be expected. Gold was off a buck today and the XAU gained about a third. ABX was up a touch on light volume. NEM was up a third on good volume. The gold shares are due for a rest, perhaps next week. GE was higher, at one point up over a dollar. It closed up a half on very heavy volume. I dumped the calls I bought yesterday but it wasn't a good trade. About 15% overnight but it wasn't worth the risk. I think I only did the trade because the market was up big yesterday and I wanted to get something for myself. True, the earnings were coming out and I expected it to rise but it wasn't the type of trade that I normally look for. The risk in these type of trades is just way too high. If you are wrong you can easily lose 50% or more overnight. I will try and stay away from such trades in the future. Yes, it is nice to be paid for paying attention but the gains are only worth it if you're trading big sums of money. And these types of trades aren't worth committing huge sums of money to. You always have to protect yourself from yourself in the game. Stick to the game plan. Mentally I was up early just to scalp the GE trade and therefore was not as alert the rest of the trading day. Expiration week is coming up. For now it's the weekend but there is work to do going over the charts and coming up with the next trade for August. However I will take a break as it is needed...

No comments: