Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Dow tried to sell off this morning but once again came back and finished the day with a loss of 2 points on average volume. The advance/declines were positive. The overall market was stronger than the Dow, which leads me to believe higher prices are in the near future. Summation index still moving higher. All eyes will be on the employment report tomorrow. No idea what that holds. The stock indices are still overbought and staying there. This condition won't last forever. No OEX trades in mind at the moment. GE was flat on the day. Volume was light. I've been holding the GE calls for quite some time. They remain in the black. I'm thinking that I will sell them tomorrow or in the beginning of next week. I don't think there will be a big decline here but what do I know? 2 weeks left in the January option cycle after tomorrow. Gold was up another $7 today and a touch more in the aftermarket. This, despite a huge rally in the US dollar. Money poured out of gold in December and now in January it is coming back in. The XAU was off 1/3 today. ABX, GG and NEM had fractional moves one way or the other on light volume. I may go out to the February option cycle if I give the gold shares a try here. I did notice some huge volume and open interest expansion in the ABX February $52.5 calls. The relative strength of ABX has been strong at the beginning of the year so far. However it's also possible that I'll try the GG calls. Not sure why gold hasn't dropped with the strength of the dollar. There are Middle East rumblings again. The gold share technicals are getting overbought short term but not on the medium term. I'd still like to see a near term pullback before purchasing some calls. May not happen. Mentally I'm feeling OK, slept good enough. Waiting on the data tomorrow and the markets reaction to it. I'm leaning towards higher prices after todays market action. That's a guess as usual. Anything could still come out of Europe at any time. So we'll see what happens.

No comments: