Pageviews past week

Friday, September 02, 2011

It was a downer on Wall Street today as the Dow lost 253 points on light volume. The advance/declines were 6 to 1 negative. It was a steep drop at the open and then we hovered around for the rest of the day. The employment report was a disaster, as no new jobs were created last month. I'm a bit surprised that we didn't drop even more. My OEX puts are solidly in the black. The question now is when to sell them. I'll consider the scenarios over the long weekend after checking the technicals. GE was down almost 1/2 on average volume. I might take my OEX cues from here. GE made a slight comeback in the afternoon. We'll see. Gold was the star of the day gaining $47 on the futures and another $10 in the aftermarket. The dollar was higher as well and the flight to safety trade is back. The XAU rose 3 1/2. ABX up 1 1/4, GG gained 1 1/3 and NEM tacked on 2 bucks. Volume was good. Looks like I sold the ABX calls too soon. Even though it was a profit, it should have been much more. Continuing to be overbought on all levels for gold but I think we are going to see new highs next week. I may just jump in and buy some more gold share calls as well. I'll consider it over the weekend. Money continues to flow in there and we are in the gold favorable month of September. Mentally I'm doing OK but a bit tired. Not all that happy about dumping the ABX calls early but you've got to move on. At least I'm on the right side of the OEX trade and the entry timing worked. Getting out right is the next challenge. A long 3 day weekend to consider things. I don't get the feeling that this downdraft is the beginning of something big to the downside but we'll see how it plays out. We're not short term oversold on the stock indices but could get there in a hurry. As I said, gold is very overbought but continues to attract capital. No easy way to trade that scenario. It's the unofficial end of summer with Labor Day weekend on tap. Time for a break.

No comments: