Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 01, 2011

It was another up and down session with the Dow closing the day with a loss of 120 points. The advance/declines were almost 3 to 1 negative. Volume was average. We were up around 80 points early in the day. The employment report will be the catalyst for tomorrow and then we have a long holiday weekend. I did purchase some OEX puts in the morning and they are in the black. I'm not sure how long I'll hold on to them. The stock indices are overbought but only on a short term basis. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. GE lost a dime on average volume. No trades there yet and there is no hurry. Gold lost a couple bucks on the futures and a couple more in the aftermarket. The US dollar was higher today. The gold shares were mixed as the XAU gained 1 1/3. ABX up 7/8, GG gained 1 3/8 but NEM lost 1/8. Volume was light. Looks like I should have held those ABX calls another day but as always hindsight is never wrong. I may try them again before the September expiration now as the relative strength is hard to ignore. What's also hard to ignore is the fact that the gold shares are both short and medium term overbought. I'll be keeping an eye on things of course. Mentally I'm feeling tired, did not sleep enough. So it's on to the next trade involving the OEX puts. The OEX is a much faster moving contract and that makes it more of a challenge to trade. If we are down tomorrow I'll probably hold the trade over the weekend. We'll see what the employment report brings, gauge the markets reaction and see what happens.

No comments: