Pageviews past week

Thursday, March 17, 2011

We got the expected oversold bounce today as the Dow gained 161 points on average volume. Advance/declines were about 3 to 1 positive. I would not expect a sustained uptrend to just appear starting today. We need to have at least some sideways movement for a while. Plus there is no guarantee that the recent decline is over. The summation index is still heading down. So we will have to wait until things sort themselves out before having a chance at guessing the markets direction from here. GE gained 1/4 on good volume. GE had a gain of double that early. I dumped the GE April calls for a 40% loss. I do not think GE will move above the strike price of 21 in the next 4 weeks. I could have gotten a slightly better price during the session but just getting out of a losing trade was the correct action in my opinion. The GE trade was a poor decision on my part and I payed for it. Gold was up $8 today and the XAU gained 2 1/2. ABX, GG and NEM all had fractional gains on light volume. I would like to try the gold share calls for April or May. That should be my next trade. I would like to see a base building period here before purchase. We'll see. The dollar had a very weak day. Golds reaction was somewhat muted. I will be keeping an eye on things here. Mentally I'm a bit tired. Trying not to think too much about getting a better price for the April GE calls. It shouldn't matter much because the money involved was minimal. However you want to do your best regardless of the money. I suppose my best today wasn't as good as it could have been. But as usual it's always easy looking back. I'll put that poor trade behind me and go from here. We'll see if the recent volatility continues going forward. The VIX index is at its highest reading since last May. If we get a reversal there I'll be looking to go long somewhere. Expiration Friday tomorrow.

No comments: