Pageviews past week

Thursday, March 10, 2011

It was a downer as we broke and closed below 12000 on the Dow. At the end of the day it was a 228 point loss on average volume. Advance/declines were 5 to 1 negative. Topics of discussion were a weakening economy in China and civil unrest in Saudi Arabia. The summation index has been moving sideways but today could be the catalyst that actually turns things down. We'll see. The uptrend line from the end of last August on the S&p 500 has been broken. That doesn't mean that we'll go straight down here but it does bear significance. Tomorrow should be interesting. GE lost 1/2 on good volume. I did put in an order for some April calls there today but it wasn't filled. I canceled the order before the close to reassess the situation. Oversold there and approaching the 50 day moving average. I will check things tonight. Gold lost $17 today as the dollar was stronger. Could the flight to safety trade be making a comeback? Time will tell. The XAU fell almost 6 points. ABX, GG and NEM all dropped more than a point on increased volume. The gold/XAU ratio is right at the buy signal. Perhaps just a short term trade here would be worthwhile, I'm not sure. March is historically the worst month for gold and the weekly charts for the gold shares are looking bearish. We are oversold on the gold shares short term though. I've been looking at the April options here but I will have to rethink things this evening. Mentally I'm doing the best I can with the outside influences and the increased volatility. I can say that things are getting better for me with each passing day. I do feel a sense of opportunity here but it won't be easy to figure out how to capitalize on it. 6 days to go for the March option cycle. We'll see what happens overseas tonight and go from there.

No comments: