Pageviews past week

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Dow lost 40 points today on light volume. Advance/declines were 2 to 1 negative. Once again the overall market was weaker than the Dow. We are are stalling at the 200 day moving average on the S&P 500. I do think that we will get through there in the near term. But I could be wrong. The summation index continues higher. GDP and the end of the month on Friday. So we'll see. I have no OEX trades in mind at the moment. Gold was up a touch on the futures and the XAU gained 1/2. ABX and GG were flat on the day. NEM reported disappointing earnings and dropped 3/8. Volume was nothing special for the gold shares. I did place an overnight order for the ABX September calls but it wasn't filled and I canceled it before tomorrows earnings announcement. I may try them again later. We are oversold on the daily chart and just about there on the weekly as well. We're also near the seasonally strong period of August and September for gold. So a gold share trade may be in order shortly. Mentally I'm a bit tired, did not sleep well. As much as I'd like to have some ABX calls before the earnings come out, I did not feel comfortable taking the risk. This is probably a byproduct of the lousy trading year so far. Also a factor is my prognosis for lower equity prices down the road in a few weeks which would affect the gold shares as well if indeed we see weakness. So it's the sidelines for now.

No comments: