Pageviews past week

Friday, July 25, 2008

No follow through to the downside today as the Dow gained 22 points. Advance/declines were positive and the volume looks to be summer Friday light. We have bounced and fell back. There isn't really anything going on here at the moment in my opinion. Sideways to higher should be the norm unless we go down and retest the lows. If we retest the lows, it will be a chance to try some OEX calls. If not, I guess it's the sidelines. Gold was up about $5 today and the XAU gained 1 1/4. ABX was flat, GG off a touch and NEM up a touch. Volume was light as the interest in the gold shares has waned. I did put in an order to dump the GG calls but it wasn't filled. I also thought hard about buying some other GG calls but didn't. I think the underlying theme for owning gold has changed as the market stabilizes and the dollar gets a bit stronger. That will change but not at the moment. Earnings for ABX and GG coming up. Buy signal still in effect and strong. But it isn't working. GE was off bit on light volume. It has the feel of something that wants to go higher. Not trades there though. Mentally I'm doing OK. The GG call trade will be a loser. Now what's the difference if it's 70% or 80%? Not much really. I'd like to wait around for the earnings but even that won't help at this point. The problem is staying in a losing trade takes your attention away from other opportunities. And it affects what you do next. It shouldn't of course but those are the realities of the game. I'll ponder it over the weekend and go from there. Friday afternoon and time for a break. My thinking is that summer is finally taking hold in the markets and the volatility will slow down. We'll see.

No comments: