Pageviews past week

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back to the downside as the Dow lost 205 points on good volume. Advance/declines were about 2 to 1 negative. We were down most of the day but sold off in the last hour when Big All started flapping his gums. Volume has been lighter on the down days lately though. That's it for July. The volatility never ceases. It isn't easy out there. Gold gained $10 but was up double that early. The XAU lost 3 points. GG reported earnings and they didn't have any. They reported a loss. The gold shares were higher early and all sold off. ABX and NEM were both up 1 1/2 and finished negative. Even GG was up a buck at one point but ended up down 1 1/2. I got blown out. The first GG trade lost over 90% and the next one lost over 80%. The first trade was the biggest loss of the year. Ouch. No discipline and throwing good money after bad. No excuses there, just stupidity. GE lost 3/4 on average volume. Mentally I'm doing OK, could have slept better. Still getting a buy signal for the gold shares and have for 2 weeks while they've sold off. Oversold and staying there like we just saw on the stock indices. They can go lower than you think. After a couple trades like I've just had, you need to regroup. Unless I get a really good signal in the OEX, I'll be on the sidelines for a while. I'm still a believer in the gold shares eventually but after today, I'll be sitting it out for a while. That's what I'll be trying to do. The battle is always internal. The markets are just there, you decide what and when to trade. So I think the right thing to do at this point is to step aside and try to regain the discipline that has recently been lost. Employment report tomorrow and the start of August. At this rate, anything goes.

No comments: