Pageviews past week

Friday, May 06, 2011

It was an interesting day as the employment report came out stronger than anticipated and the Dow rallied big early. We were up around 175 points in the morning but the market faded and we ended with a gain of 54 points. Advance/declines were almost 2 to 1 positive and the volume was good. Even with todays action we are still short term oversold. Perhaps I will give the OEX calls a try next week. But that isn't a given. GE was up a dime on light volume. Still in a trading range there. Gold gained $10 on the futures in a weak bounce. The XAU was up 5/8. The gold shares also rallied good early but then lost all of their gains. ABX was flat, GG up 1/4, while NEM lost a buck. Volume was average. I dumped the ABX May calls for a 50% loss. I should have sold them early in the morning. I wasn't mentally ready to do what had to be done. It was a tough game for me today and I couldn't handle it. That isn't encouraging. The dollar had another huge rally today and it could signal the end of this run for the precious metals. The gold shares are oversold here as well but they are staying there. I tried my trade and it failed. Mentally I'm disappointed that I couldn't do what was necessary this morning. I will have to attempt to regroup over the weekend. The stock market needs to hold up here and I think it will. Commodities on the other hand have rolled over and there should be no playing them from the long side for a while. I'll consider doing an OEX trade next week after checking the charts over the weekend. However after another losing trade, it will be hard to find the confidence necessary to be successful. It's Friday afternoon and time for a break.

No comments: