Pageviews past week

Monday, January 03, 2011

It was a positive start to the new year as the Dow gained 93 points on light volume. The advance/declines were 3 to 1 positive. We were up well over 100 points for most of the day but fell back in the last hour. The summation index continues higher. We are still very overbought. However there is nothing on the horizon to derail the uptrend for now. That will change eventually. GE was down a penny after being higher early. I bailed out of the GE calls. Not sure it was the right thing to do and I may buy them back before expiration if we get some downside. The overall gain was 410%. About 300% on the first purchase of the calls and then around 600% on the second purchase. A nice way to start the year but I may have been early on the sale. Time will tell. The candlestick daily chart isn't looking good with todays action. We'll see. Gold was up a touch in the futures market and sold off in the aftermarket. The XAU fell 2 3/4. The gold shares were down on better volume. ABX and NEM had fractional losses. GG fell a buck. I dumped these calls as well. I should have been out sooner in the day because I realized that my theory of new money coming into this issue for the new year just wasn't panning out. I managed a slight gain of 12% but it could have been much better if I hadn't hesitated. Still, it's better than a loss but improvement is needed. I'm not sure about gold here, it could stall out and roll over. The rally back to the highs has been on light volume. The dollar didn't do much today. Mentally I'm a bit tired. I'm still in the bullish camp here but would like to see some pullback near term to try some January calls again before the expiration. That's the ideal scenario. The employment report is out on Friday and we should move off of that. Not sure if I'll have another position before then. A good start to the week for the stock indices and we'll see if we can build on it.

No comments: