Pageviews past week

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It was an up and down session as the Dow finished off by 17 points. Advance/declines were negative and the volume was average. We are at the overhead resistance. I think this is a major inflection point for the stock indices. We are either going to break out to the upside on increased volume and continue the rally or we will fail here and begin another decline. I'm leaving in the open order for the OEX puts. We are overbought here but sometimes we stay there. Gold had a breakout to new highs on increased volume. The XAU rose 5 points but was higher early. ABX up 1, GG rose 1 1/2 and NEM up 2 3/8. These issues were also higher and sold off late. Volume was above average. I bought some ABX October calls on the breakout. I was going to wait for the Gold/XAU buy signal but it's possible that the parameters for that have now changed. Time will tell. I did not like how the gold shares ended the day by selling off. I would have liked to have seen these issues end the day near their highs. So perhaps this is another mistake. However the breakout of gold occurred on increased volume and that is a positive sign. The dollar also fell again today and gold paid attention. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The trade that I put on here is already off 10%. I have the stop loss order placed. So we'll see what happens. I still think the overall market is headed lower but gold would be looked at as a safe haven again. Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: