Pageviews past week

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Dow up 5 points on good volume. Advance/declines were negative. We bounced around after the Fed announcement. No surprises there, up another 25 basis points. No change in the language. The downtrend line is still intact for now. I dumped the GE calls for about an 80% loss. GE was down over 40 cents on heavy volume but somehow came back in the last minute to be down 15 cents. The same thing happened in the Dow, with it down 40 points and then all of a sudden it was positive at the close. Can't explain that action but it doesn't matter now. I'm out and will go from here. The XAU had another good day and it seems like I have missed that. Perhaps we will get some pullback but I just don't know. Getting back to GE, I just can't explain it. It was a bad trade from the start. It never showed a profit. When that happens it is best just to bail out. Obviously the thinking there was wrong. That said it would not surprise me if it rallied from here. Perhaps today was the final selling. I don't know. If the downtrend line in the market gets broken then I need to be long something. Losses are part of the game but they need to be kept small. I should have left GE a long time ago. The percentage loss here is totally unacceptable. But it is what it is and the markets, the trading, will go on. Hanging on to losing trades erodes the confidence factor and takes your attention away from other things in the markets that I should be paying attention to. You end up losing a lot more than just the money. The mental capital is diminished as well. I need to regroup and get a fresh start...

No comments: