Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

We tried to rally but fell off as the Dow dropped 10 points on average volume.  The advance/declines were positive.  October trading has ended and we're on to November.  We've got the employment report on Friday and then the US election on Tuesday.  Technically the stock indices are still oversold and I believe that regardless of the numbers, near term we will move higher.  The S&P 500 has gone sideways for 4 days in a row.  Although the summation index is still heading lower, I expect an upside pop in the major averages within the next 2 days.  I could be wrong but I don't think so.  GE was off a nickel on about average volume.  Short term oversold here as well.  Gold moved higher to close out the month.  The futures rose $7.  The US dollar didn't do much today but had been lower when the US markets were closed.  The XAU gained 5 1/2 as it continues to outperform than precious metal.  ABX up 1 1/3, GG added 1 /2 and NEM rose 1 1/4.  Volume was average for the gold shares.  Higher prices were expected in the gold shares and we got them.  I ended up getting some ABX November calls before tomorrows earnings report.  I'm not a big fan of chasing moves but I think that ABX is going to go higher.  I still like the January calls as well if there is some pullback down the road.  Of course I could be mistaken and the stock sells off on the earnings report.  I have a stop loss order in place.  Regardless, it looks like last week was the time to purchase the January calls for ABX.  Mentally I'm feeling a bit tired.  Oversold on the stock indexes and staying there.  That is usually a recipe for disaster but we've only been moving sideways.  Perhaps another day of wait and see before the numbers on Friday.  It's anybodies guess.  Gold moved up today but the gold shares have really been acting well lately.  We'll see if that trend continues.  I'm not sure how long I will hold on to the November ABX calls.  I have a commitment on Friday halfway through the trading day. That will delay the blog posting until Saturday.  I will also be away from my desk for a couple of days next week due to a prior engagement.  The blog might be late or not posted in the middle of the week.  We'll see how ABX reacts to the earnings and go from there.  

No comments: