Pageviews past week

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It was down from the open and we closed on the low of the day. I guess it doesn't get any bearish than that. The Dow lost 298 points on average volume. Advance/declines were 9 to 1 negative. Summation index solidly down. My OEX calls got killed. They were dead from the start. It was a 75% loss. It was risky, I was wrong and I paid the price. That was an impulse trade and a dumb one at that. Nobodies fault but mine and it continues the terrible decisions that have so far characterized my trading year. Gold was the star of the day, up over $25. However the XAU could only manage a gain of 85 cents. I got killed in the ABX calls as well for a 70% loss. ABX down 3/4, GG was flat and NEM had a gain of over a buck. Heavy volume in the gold shares and they all opened higher but closed lower. Especially ABX. I had the right direction for gold but was trading in the wrong vehicle. GLD has done fine during this gold rally but the gold shares just aren't moving higher. Earnings on Thursday and Friday and somehow I am thinking of trying ABX again for the earnings release on Friday. I may do it. I am quite sure the gold companies earnings will be stellar but that doesn't mean they will trade higher. Perhaps at this point the prudent thing to do would be to sit back and let things play out as they may. Mentally I am tired, did not sleep much. Very disappointed in losing but it is part of the game. I need to put it aside and keep on going. Easier said than done. 3 days before expiration and do I really want to do another trade after these losses? Perhaps. It's a rough start to the new year, that's for sure. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments: