Pageviews past week

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Dow lost 95 points today after the Fed raised interest rates again. Volume was light to average and advance/declines were negative. The Fed statement was hawkish and that led to the decline. It was the biggest loss in a while if my memory is correct. Gold sold off after the Fed move and that killed the rally that had been going on for about a week. I sold half of my ABX position at a substantial loss, about 75%. I don't think that ABX will be coming back after todays action and I probably just should have dumped it all. But hope is always a bad thing sometimes and that is all that is left in this trade. I've seen some strange things happen in the market but I don't anticipate anything saving the rest of this. I put too much money in this trade and that is why the loss is so great. That was a mistake and the discipline that was missing killed me. It is not a lesson that really needs to be learned at this juncture of my career but I got greedy and paid for it. There is nothing I can do but go on, perhaps with a little better perspective. Greed kills. It doesn't matter how many times that a set-up works, there is always the chance that it won't work when your money is on the line. My 1st quarter results are disastrous. Last year I was able to come back and have a good year after starting off just as poorly but to pull that off again is really asking a lot. I'll have to go slow and cautious from here. I still have half the ABX trade to get rid of. More losses most likely. Mentally I'm doing as good as can be expected with heavy losses weighing on my mind. I'm also tired from not sleeping well from all the drama in my life outside of trading. I need to get the focus back. I need to get the discipline. I need to go back to what works and forget all the rest of the bullshit. The work needs to be done and I have to stay with what I know is viable. This is a big hole to climb out of and I did not want to start the year off this way. But it is what it is and I will have to regroup and go from here. It's a tough game but I will do my best to get back on track and do the right thing...

No comments: