Thursday, September 03, 2026
A good day for the bulls as the Dow climbed 624 points on light volume. The advance/declines were positive. The summation index is beginning to stall. The NASDAQ led the way higher. I had expected perhaps a quiet session ahead of tomorrows jobs report but that was not the case. Probably some short covering in there with the buyers. The short term indicators for the S&P 500 are moving up. If we continue to rally from here, new all time highs could be on the table for next week. I am still considering the SPY September puts though if things line up for that idea ahead of the inflation data due out late next week. However we also have to consider that the support at 7600 on the S&P held up and the up trend line that started in April is still intact on the daily chart. Gold took off to the upside as the futures gained $105. The US dollar fell sharply and interest rates dipped. The XAU added 12 1/4, while GDX was up 3 7/8. Volume was good to the upside. The short term indicators for GDX have turned around from the mid-range level. I canceled my open order for the GDX September calls as it appears that GDX is not going to get completely oversold as I had hoped. Another missed opportunity but we will wait and see if GDX can get above the recent highs. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The VIX was lower which fits an upside day for stocks. The short term indicators here are heading down but not yet completely oversold. Not sure what to expect with the market reaction to the jobs report but if today is any indication stocks will most likely continue higher. Asia lower and Europe higher overnight. We'll close out the trading week ahead of a long weekend tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment