Pageviews past week

Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Dow rose 100 points today on extra heavy volume again. Advance/declines were almost 2 to 1 positive. We are working off the extremely oversold condition of late. There will be a retest of the lows and that will let us know where we stand. That could be the next trade. Gold was little changed. Earnings came out and ABX rallied early, NEM didn't do much. I dumped the NEM calls for a 70% loss. No sense in holding those anymore. They were losers from the start, off 50% the day after I bought them. Those trades never work out. The market collapsed and the gold shares went with it. I still believe that the gold shares will be worth owning again but perhaps not at the moment. The dollar has held up lately but if and when it breaks 80, that will be the time to own gold. GE ended up slightly, the volume was nothing special. I'm going to wait there. Mentally I feel fine and am looking for the next trade. It is always good to dump your losers. You don't use up anymore mental capital on something that isn't going to work and you move on. As long as you stick to the money management parameters you can stay in the game. There are no sure things. The question is where we go from here. I have a target in mind for the OEX but that could change. I'll try and be patient for a decent signal. We'll see what the markets have to say.

No comments: