Pageviews past week

Friday, January 04, 2013

A good end to the first week of trading in 2013 for the bulls as the Dow gained 43 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were 3 to 1 positive.  The summation index is heading higher.  The employment report came in as expected and it really wasn't much of a market mover.  The stock indices are short term overbought but they could stay that way.  I think any declines will be bought here.  You cannot argue with price and the market is moving higher.  I still think that we will see more gains heading into the option expiration in 2 weeks.  GE was up a bit and the volume was light.  I would like to see more participation here from GE but it isn't happening yet.  If we can break through the declining tops line at around $21.50, we should see GE move up.  I am still considering the January calls here.  Gold had a roller coaster type of session.  The futures closed down $25 and they were lower than that during the morning.  But gold made a comeback in the after hours trading.  I'm not sure what to make of todays action.  The US dollar opened higher but closed well off of the highs for the day.  The XAU was actually up 1/3 as the gold shares performed pretty good considering the drop in gold.  This is a positive for the gold shares.  ABX, GG and NEM all had slight fractional gains on average volume.  I'm not exactly sure what to do with the gold shares here.  The are still medium term oversold and due for some type of rally.  The daily technicals are more overbought than oversold though.  I'll probably be looking elsewhere for the next trade.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  The stock indexes are overbought.  I'll will look to get some calls next week perhaps if there is a pullback.  The Dow transports have broken out and it is up to the industrials to follow.  I may get some GE January calls next week.  The only caveat is that the earnings are due on expiration Friday.  We'll see.  Gold is acting volatile to start the year.  I would still like to get long there at some point.  Perhaps I'll move out to the February option cycle there.  Plenty to consider over the weekend.  For now it's the first Friday of the new year and time for a break.

No comments: