Pageviews past week

Friday, July 08, 2011

Some downside action today on the weak jobs report as the Dow lost 62 points on light volume. The advance/declines were over 2 to 1 negative. We were off by 150 points in the morning. However nothing seems to be able to derail this market at the moment. It has all the signs of going higher, for whatever reasons. Working off the overbought condition for now. I would expect new yearly highs before option expiration next Friday. The market always knows more than you and me. GE was off 1/3 on better volume. I would say that it's a warning sign for the stock indices here but GE has been lagging and not leading. Back below the 50 day moving average on the daily charts. No trades in mind there. Gold was up $11 today but the XAU fell 1/3. ABX, GG and NEM were either flat or had small fractional moves on light volume. The dollar gained ground today and it didn't stop gold. Money is moving into gold and I have no reason for it. I suppose I will take a closer look at the gold shares over the weekend. Mentally I'm feeling OK. The summer has been anything but quiet so far. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to take advantage of it. The stock market wants to go higher. I think that will be the case going into expiration week. The usual inverse relationship between gold and the US dollar isn't happening right now. You would expect the dollar to have fallen today on such a weak jobs number. Didn't happen. I'm keeping an eye on things but I really don't have a very good feel or idea what is going on. For that reason, I've remained on the sidelines. I'll be looking at the charts over the weekend to try and find something worthwhile. But for now it's a Friday afternoon in the summer and time for a break.

No comments: