Pageviews past week

Friday, January 20, 2006

The market got pounded on expiration Friday. Down 213 points on heavy volume. Advance/declines over 2 to 1 negative. I sold the OEX calls for about a 40% loss. I'm an idiot. Had a gain yesterday did not put in a stop-loss order and I got what I deserved. Could have sold first thing in the morning for break-even and waited for a bounce that never came. Did not manage this trade properly, just like the GE trade. Must make the proper changes immediately or just stop. Should have had 3 winners to start the year and am left with this. Horrible. I must get better. Very disappointing. GE was down hard, over a dollar on extremely heavy volume. I was lucky to bail out yesterday and absorb the loss before it became a total loss. Again, I should have gotten out of the OEX trade also. The exact same thing happened with the first OEX trade when I did not sell out the GE calls that were profitable. If I felt the need to bail out of the one trade I just should have gotten out of the other. Terrible trading tactics and I really need to step back and get it right for a change. Stop-loss orders are now mandatory. They must be moved up as a profit takes shape. If I get stopped out, so what? I have seen enough times when the trade just goes the other way and I sit there. Many trades have been winners that have turned into losers. Too many. The discipline required has got to happen now or it just isn't worth it. The money is there to be made and my ability to get the right trades is there, they just aren't managed correctly. It's up to me to change that. I need to work on that. That will have to be the priority. It will make things so much easier on myself. I cannot take the torture that much more. I have to have the ability to move forward in the face of frustration. It isn't easy. The weekend is here, I'm tired and defeated for now. I am going to take it easy next week and try to limit myself to only the best trading opportunities. I want to limit the commissions. I have already overtraded and did a bad job at that. It's time to take a step back, regroup and rest...

No comments: