Pageviews past week

Thursday, February 16, 2017

A pause in the run up as the Dow gained 7 points today on average volume.  The advance/declines were negative.  The overall market was weaker than the Dow.  The summation index is still moving up.  We were negative for much of the session.  I sold my SPY February puts for a 65% loss.  My exit today was horrible as well.  I could have cut the loss at least in half had I better tactics.  But it was not to be as this trade was a disaster from the beginning.  A day early on the entry and it never recovered.  The short term trades are just not in my wheel house so it seems.  We're still very overbought any way you look at it and some decline or consolidation is in order.  I'll be looking out to the March option cycle.  GE was up a dime and the volume was light.  Another missed trade here for me.  Gold added $7 on the futures as the US dollar was lower today.  The XAU rose a point and GDX gained 1/4 on light volume.  Mentally I'm feeling disappointed after another losing trade.  Nobody to blame but myself there as the risk was pretty high due to the lack of time remaining.  I should have just passed.  Once again I think that leaving all the money on the table in the previous trade influenced what I did there.  You can't let that happen in the game.  But you move on.  The next trade in my mind will be the SPY puts again but the timing will have to be spot on.  Perhaps waiting for a negative divergence in the indicators would be the best idea for now.  We have had quite a straight line up and that will not last.  It should end sooner rather than later.  Asia was mixed and Europe lower last night.  We'll close out the week tomorrow. 

No comments: