Pageviews past week

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The stock market exploded to the upside today as the Dow gained 193 points. Advance/declines were almost 5 to 1 positive and the volume was good. It looks like an upside breakout as we completely turned around from yesterdays negative price action. Needless to say this action dooms my OEX puts. They are now under water and I'll be dumping them shortly. There is no technical reason for todays breakout. There wasn't any economic news as the driving force. It is a currency rally as the dollar made fresh lows for this move down in the buck. The market does what it wants. Gold made it to new highs, up over $24. The XAU gained over 6 points. ABX was up 1 1/3, GG up 1 1/8 and NEM up around a buck. Volume increased moving higher here as well. I put in an open order for some ABX October calls. This is a risky move with just 8 days to go but we are in a runaway upside gold market. My thinking is that the powers that be will hold it up into the expiration. Actually gold should have been my focus after Bernanke said he would do whatever it takes to keep rates low and the economy going. It's always easy to look back and determine what should have been done. It's a lot harder to live with your mistakes. Mentally I'm feeling OK. I get the feeling after today that it doesn't matter what the employment report says. The market will simply move higher. We would have to have a complete reversal in the next 2 days to negate that. I don't see that happening.

No comments: