Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Big Ben flapped his gums today as the Dow gained 117 points. The volume was very heavy again. Advance/declines were over 2 to 1 positive. We opened down 100 and were up around 180 at one point. So the volatility continues and I don't expect it to go away anytime soon. The Fed said it's ready to cut rates again. I dumped the OEX calls for a gain of over 40%. Plenty of slippage on the fill as these markets are treacherous at times. But you've got to keep moving on. The calls could perhaps work again before expiration. I was early getting in on this trade and was lucky to get out. Gold was up over $11 and nears $900. The XAU gained over 2 1/2. ABX was down a half and NEM was up a point, both on heavy volume. You would think with gold up nicely all the gold shares would rally but that wasn't the case. My guess is profits were taken in ABX to be put to work elsewhere but that's just a guess. The volume in the NEM calls I'm looking at was extremely high, don't know what that means. GE was up about a dime on average volume. I think GE has to get going to the upside for any rally to have legs. Mentally I'm a bit tired, not enough sleep again. The short term trading requires a lot of commitment. You have to be up for the game and that's just to have a chance. I do prefer the longer time frame trades when they are available. However you also need to take advantage of opportunity. We have gotten the expected bounce that was long overdue. Where we go from here is any ones guess. We are probably going to have to test the recent low. What happens there will be the key for further out. 6 days before expiration. I might try the gold shares again or I might sit it out. Checking the charts tonight will be key and we'll go from there.

No comments: