Pageviews past week

Saturday, April 17, 2004

I've been busy. Here is a recap of the end of this past week. The McClellan Oscillator got down to a very oversold reading of around minus 250 on wednesday. I thought some kind of bounce would be due thursday or friday. I got up on thursday and the market was around unchanged and I had to go to the dentist. I decided that if the market got weak, I would put in an order for some calls. Not a huge order, since their is only a day and a half left for the options, but a small trade. And only if the market dropped. So before I went to the dentist I placed an order with a limit price that was so low it would take a miracle to get filled. Since the McClellan Oscillator basically went straight down I figured it was due for some kind of bounce. While I'm in the dentists chair, the market starts to drop. Dentists nowadays have TVs in the ceiling so you can watch something while they drill you. So I'm watching CNBC and thinking, could those calls actually get filled? The market was down over 50 points. I finally get back home and lo and behold I now own some calls. With one day to go before they expire. And the market came back to be up a little on the day so I already had a small profit. However IBM announced their earnings after the bell and the futures sold off. So here I sit with a couple OEX calls. I still thought it could work though. Friday comes around and the market actually opens higher. In fact if not for IBM it would have really been up. An oversold bounce it was. Of course I hold on to these things longer than I should have but it doesn't matter. It was going to be profitable. I had caught the low of the day yesterday. I sold out near the close for around a 250% gain. Of course I could have sold earlier but no complaints here. Which brings me to something that I read recently. You can know how to trade but it is the act of trading that produces results. Knowing is not acting. Thinking is not acting. Planning is not acting. Only acting is acting. I think it means something like no matter how much you put in before the trade it is the trade itself where you gotta do it. I'm always working on that and forever will be...

No comments: