Pageviews past week

Monday, January 08, 2018

The Dow took a slight breather to begin the week as it lost 12 points on light volume.  The advance/declines were positive.  The summation index is still moving up.  The overall market was stronger than the Dow.  Very overbought once again and I do expect some decline within the next couple of sessions.  The question is whether it will be enough of a drop to attempt a trade with the SPY January puts.  It is something that I'm considering but probably won't do.  We are still in a rip roaring bull market.  However I will go over the numbers tonight.  GE lost 1/4 and was the most active issue once again on the big board.  What I'm wondering here is if this is the pullback that we need to get long before the earnings due out at the end of next week.  If the short term indicators get back to oversold I might try this idea.  Gold shed a buck or so as the US dollar was higher.  The XAU lost over a point and GDX fell 1/4.  Volume was average.  The gold shares have had a nice run since the middle of December and are due for a rest.  Mentally I'm feeling a bit out of sorts with many non market related things to deal with.  One of the keys to be successful at this game is to remain focused.  At least that is one of the keys for me.  The game is hard enough as it is but if you have other things on your mind it will make things even tougher.  At least I am able to recognize my current mental condition and tread lightly for now.  The markets really are simply still just going straight up.  It's already too late in my mind to attempt the SPY calls here unless we see some weakness.  There are no sellers.  Shorts have already been squeezed.  Patience is required but there still may be time left for a trade before the January expiration.  We'll see.  Inflation data along with retail sales at the end of this week.  Asia was higher but Japan was closed.  Europe was mixed.  We'll keep an eye on the overnight developments. 

No comments: