Pageviews past week

Monday, August 03, 2020

A rally to begin the month of August as the Dow added 236 points on average volume.  The advance/declines were about 2 to 1 positive.  This should turn the summation index back up but it is trending in a sideways pattern.  Once again the NASDAQ is leading the way higher.  The overall market remains overbought and staying that way.  I'm still considering the SPY August puts if we continue higher into Wednesday.  However I'm not that confident about taking such a position due to the seemingly endless source of money flowing into stocks.  It won't last forever but with the summation index forming what I perceive to be a ledge, I'm willing to take a shot.  But I certainly could be making a mistake.  GE was up a few cents on good volume.  Gold was up $8 on the August futures and the US dollar was a bit higher as well.  The XAU was off 1 13/4, while GDX shed 3/8.  Volume was light and the gold shares finished well off of their lows for the session.  I'm also willing to try the GDX August calls before the jobs report on Friday if we see a drop back to the up trend line at 41.  It certainly doesn't appear that will happen as any selling in the gold shares is met with buyers.  This has been going on for months now.  GDX hasn't been short term oversold since the beginning of June.  mentally I'm feeling OK.  The VIX bounced around today and almost touched the lower Bollinger band again on the daily chart.  The short term technical indicators here did turn back up but they remain oversold.  I'm not sure if I'm going to leave in an open order for the SPY August puts in tonight.  I may wait until Wednesday to see if the market cooperates.  I did cancel my order for the SRNE August calls.  I'll be keeping an eye on this stock over the week as earnings and the FDA ruling are supposed to be due out in a week on Monday.  But it continues to move higher and I'm not about to chase it.  Attempting to trade the pandemic virus stocks is fraught with risk.  The game is risky enough as it is.  I am quite sure that there is money to be made in this field.  I'm just not sure if I'm qualified for the task.  HOLX was at least a legitimate company with earnings.  Some of the rest that I'm looking at are money losing companies that might have a chance to get profitable if their products are adopted.  But that's a big if.  Europe and Asia were generally higher overnight following the US markets lead.  We'll see how things go tomorrow.

No comments: