Pageviews past week

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

What looked to be a good day for the bulls turned into a bummer as the Dow only gained 11 points after being up over 200.  The advance/declines were just about even on average volume.  The summation index is still heading lower.  The market started its decline after the Fed announcement.  That announcement wasn't any kind of surprise but the buying dried up.  My open order for the SPY February puts wasn't filled and I'm leaving it out there.  It's possible that the snap back from the recent sudden decline is over and now we'll head lower from here.  I certainly hope that isn't the case but it could be.  Obviously the market isn't going to wait around to get my order filled.  There's still plenty of time left in the February option cycle.  GE had a blast to the upside after its earnings report.  It rose 1 1/4 on extremely heavy volume.  It has broken above recent resistance and probably has more upside to come.  Gold added almost $10 on the futures as it reversed course.  The US dollar was slightly higher again.  The XAU was up 2 1/3, while GDX gained 1/2.  Volume was light.  My GDX February calls gained some ground.  GDX is still above its rising trend line with the short term technical indicators about mid-range.  Mentally I'm feeling OK.  The VIX bounced off of its 200 day moving average today.  Volatility is still in the forefront for now.  The VIX is more overbought now and I'd like to see some drift lower in the short term technical indicators.  But like I've said, the market isn't going to wait around and do what benefits my ideas.  We've got the end of the month on Friday and I'd guess we'd see some selling into that.  That wouldn't help my open order to get filled though.  With today price action it's a good bet tomorrow will be lower.  We'll see.  Asia was mixed and Europe higher overnight.  We'll see how things go tomorrow.

No comments: