Pageviews past week

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Another day of hanging around as the Dow rose 22 points on light volume. The advance/declines were about even again. The summation index is moving down. The NASDAQ led the way lower again as well. Still waiting for the long overdue bounce. The S&P 500 finished in the red remains short term oversold. Could the bounce come tomorrow? Perhaps. I did think about getting the SPY April calls near the close but with only Friday to go in the April option cycle I didn't do it. I could certainly make a technical case for giving it a shot. But the short term trades are not my best efforts and we'll roll into the May option cycle with regards to the SPY. Gold was up $7 on the futures. The US dollar was higher along with interest rates. The XAU and GDX had fractional gains on light volume. The gold shares finished off of their best levels on the day. I sold my GDX April calls for a gain of 50% and it should have been twice that. The exit this morning was horrible as I did not execute it the way I had planned. This trade had a mediocre entry and a terrible exit. I really need to get better at the short term stuff or simply avoid it. I think one of the reasons I looked at the SPY April calls today was because of the lousy end to this trade. That could be a recipe for disastor because win or lose you have to move on. Where you get in and where you get out will determine success or failure in this game. You certainly cannot let one trade affect the next. We know these things yet the struggle persists. It is the nature of the game. Mentally I'm frustrated from my effort and results of the GDX call trade. But it doesn't matter now. The up trend line for GDX on the daily chart reamins intact for now. The VIX was lower again today which doesn't fit with the overall market weakness. Not sure what to make of it. Asia and Europe finished higher with the exception of India. We'll close out the trading week on expiration Friday tomorrow.

No comments: